View Mobile Site

Murray talks training, more on area media tour

  • Bookmark and Share

Prime Time Specialty Mini Grid WIDGET

Tonight in Prime Time

Enter your ZIP code below to see local listings.
POSTED: November 2, 2013 9:00 a.m.
Randy C. Murray/

Maj. Gen. Mike Murray, commander of the 3rd Infantry Division and Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Airfield, poses Wednesday afternoon with Coastal Courier and Bryan County News publisher Mark Griffin.

View Larger

HINESVILLE — Maj. Gen. Mike Murray, commander of the 3rd Infantry Division and Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Airfield, said he has a zero-tolerance policy for sexual assault among 3rd ID soldiers, whether on post or off.
The Marne Division commander spoke candidly during an interview at the Coastal Courier, sister publication of the Bryan County news, on Wednesday afternoon.
As part of an area media tour, Murray stopped by the Courier’s office in downtown Hinesville to meet publisher Mark Griffin, managing editor Hollie Moore Barnidge and web editor Pat Watkins. Afterward, he took time to answer questions about changes taking place on Fort Stewart, including the inactivation of the division’s 2nd Brigade, training of soldiers and leaders, and his policy for preventing sexual assault.
He said there is a public misconception that sexual assaults are taking place in the barracks. Although some assaults take place in government housing, he said the majority of sexual-assault cases involving soldiers take place off post. Regardless where these crimes take place, however, Murray said he will not tolerate such behavior among his troops.
“When I came in here from day one, I said I was going to do everything I can to eliminate sexual assault at Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield,” Murray said. “I’ve taken a very hard line with the soldiers I’ve had to deal with so far.”

Read more in the Nov. 2 edition of the News.

 

Comments

  • Bookmark and Share

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Most Popular


Please wait ...