View Mobile Site

Man escapes injuries in fire

  • Bookmark and Share

Prime Time Specialty Mini Grid WIDGET

Tonight in Prime Time

Enter your ZIP code below to see local listings.

BC News Friends to follow

POSTED: February 4, 2007 5:04 a.m.
A Pembroke man in ill health escaped serious injury Monday when he was able to get outside after a fire started in his kitchen.
Ten volunteer Pembroke firefighters were called to the home on 178 W.E. Smith Road about 11 a.m. and arrived within minutes, according to Pembroke Fire Chief Jimmy Cook.
They found the man, Charles Morgan, outside. Morgan’s wife, Thelma, was not at home when the fire apparently started in the stove and spread throughout the kitchen.
“Somehow he got up and got himself out of there,” Collins said. Firefighters got the blaze under control in about 10 minutes. The fire did extensive damage to the couple’s kitchen, but firefighters were able to keep it from spreading in part due sheetrock in the walls.
“It’s very fortunate it didn’t burn down,” Collins said. “It would have if it hadn’t been for the sheetrock.”
The rest of the home did suffer heat and smoke damage, and Collins said the Red Cross was called and got the couple a room at a local motel.
The fire is the first involving a home or other building in Pembroke this year.
In 2006, the PFD responded to 30 fires, only seven of which were structure fire, according to Collins.
 

Comments

  • Bookmark and Share

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Most Popular


Please wait ...